Tuesday, 18 August 2026

A Summer of Sea Inspiration

My making over the summer has been inspired by the sea and the seaside.

The catalyst for my recent creativity was a fortnight in Fife.  Our first weekend coincided with the Largo Blue Space Festival, a two day community event celebrating coastal conservation and local marine environments around Largo Bay and the Firth of Forth.  It was hosted by local group, The Friends of Largo Bay, and my cousin Stephanie is a very active member.  

Stephanie overseeing my needle felting!

I was so pleased to be able to take part in the drop-in craft session she organised throughout the weekend, to needle felt a seascape featuring the starfish on the group's logo. 


Further along the East Neuk coast from Largo lies the pretty fishing village of Pittenweem and no visit to Fife would be complete for me without a visit to The Woolly Brew!  This beautiful ball of Rico mohair silk yarn reminded me of seashells and I knit the free scarf pattern which accompanied my purchase.  Another ethereal make inspired by the sea.


Continuing to enjoy the seaside on holiday, the Fife Coastal Path provided us with many options for our daily beach walks.

Beach walks gave me the opportunity to search for sea glass.


I took my small haul along to the sea glass art workshop at Jane Keenan Design in Maud last weekend.  It was run by Shaped By The Sea creator, Jane Crighton, and I hoped to include some of my pieces into the picture we were going to make.


I love to see everything laid out at the start of a class.  There was a box frame and laser-cut wooden heart for everyone as well as little pots of sea glass and pottery.  So much potential!

I opened up the pots I'd been given whilst Jane enlightened us about the history of sea glass.  It can take decades, and sometimes centuries, to tumble glass into the smoothed, frosted pieces in front of us and she showed us examples under UV light where additives from early glass manufacture glowed vividly!  

There were lots of extra bits and pieces on the table along with sweet treats to go with our tea.


Selecting pieces and sticking them into the heart was both absorbing and therapeutic.  


As my picture progressed, I was mindful of Jane's instruction to use finger protectors as the glue dried quickly!  It also created a shiny glaze when painted over my completed glass, pottery and shell composition.


I finished by adding some wee wooden hearts and these words - a dream is a wish your heart makes.


I'm pleased with my sea glass art and am happy I could use some I'd collected in Fife.  Displaying my picture at home will keep the happy holiday memories alive as well as reminding me of fun times by the sea.


Thanks, Jane, for a wonderful workshop!










Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Never At A Loose End | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig