Sunday 26 July 2020

A Holiday at Home

Just as well it wasn't going to be our year for an overseas trip.  

We'd already been talking about a holiday in Scotland before the current pandemic, possibly a break in the Borders, with golf aplenty for Geoff, and a craft workshop or two for me whilst he strode the fairways.  But Covid19 ensured that wasn't going to happen either.

Seeing empty workshops prompt craft tutors to stage their classes online, and dispatch boxes of materials by post for participants to complete in the comfort of their own homes, a kernel of an idea was forming that I could stage my own craft retreat.  For me.  At home.
Print by @by.eilidh
Enjoying some 'Me Time'.

Perhaps I need to back up and explain what the summer holidays are usually like for me.  My job in school library means I only work in term time, giving me 6 weeks off in July and August. Despite Coronavirus, I continued to work my part time hours, in a re-deployed role at home, from Easter onwards so was delighted when the last day of term arrived.  Geoff's job at sea means he may, or may not, be at home during this time but he's been ashore for the last six weeks and won't be back again before I return to school.  So that left me with three weeks home alone to fill.  But, like everyone else who isn't a key worker, I've been at home since the end of March, sometimes with Geoff for company and sometimes just me and the dog.  
I needed to do something special to feel like I'd had a holiday.  A holiday involving relaxation and crafts, but not my usual routine.

So for three days last week I did just that.  It took a bit of planning - but that was half the fun.  First, I thought about how I could create a sanctuary and set about making a spare bedroom into the ideal guest venue, installing fresh flowers, scented candles and mood lighting.  
Here's a wee video :
To truly be able to relax in my own house, I spent the two days prior to my retreat making sure my regular household chores and laundry were all up to date.  As someone who enjoys cooking, and makes most meals from scratch, I entrusted my dinners to Marks and Spencers ready meals which also ensured minimal washing up.
I let M&S take care of my lunches too, and chose foods I love but wouldn't normally buy.  Scotch egg and pork pie- you are my guilty pleasures!  Sunny days meant I could enjoy eating them outside.
Naturally, I managed to keep myself adequately hydrated too.  You'll note that I took the 'treat' part of 'retreat' very seriously! 
I kitted out the shower room with toiletries from Scottish Fine Soaps after drenching myself in the Sea Kelp range during a luxury mini-break at Foyers Lodge on the banks of Loch Ness last autumn.  The Au Lait Noir hand and body fragrance I chose is decadently delicious.
I factored in some home pampering too with a beauty mask for each evening.  It was a happy coincidence that my hairdresser rang during my retreat to say she'd had a cancellation and was able to offer me an appointment for my first professional haircut in 5 months.  I've saved you from the sight of me in my Simple Face Mask but did feel my radiance was boosted, exactly as promised!  The Superdrug Foot Mask left my feet feeling lovely and soft once I'd got over the initial disconcerting cold squidgy feeling.  In the end, I didn't use the Elvive self-heating hair mask I'd bought as I felt my hair was pampered enough by my own lovely hairdresser.

Each afternoon I enjoyed a different craft activity, thanks to the kits I'd purchased.
The brainchild of Bristol based community artist, Tasha Bee, the kit contained everything I needed to create my own handmade ceramic being, and even included a tiny live plant.  In fact, I was able to create two planters through judicious use of my clay.  Tasha's kits were created during lock-down with the specific purpose of allowing people to be creative whilst stuck at home and I really enjoyed the YouTube instructional video which made me feel like I was at a pottery class with Tasha herself.  I'm very proud of the wee pot heads I made.
On day two I made my own chocolates using the dark chocolate truffle making kit I bought from the award winning ethical chocolate business Cocoa Loco.  
As a self confessed chocoholic, these are a delicious little bites of chocolate heaven. 
Some for me - and some to share.

On the final day of my retreat I made a fabulous scented Rainbow Candle using the Rainbow in a box candle kit I purchased from Falkirk business, Candle Shack.  Again, everything was included in the kit.

The fun instructional accompanying video on YouTube guided me through the necessary steps to make this huge, stripey, fragrant candle.  
There's some waiting time whilst the layers set but it was another sunny day and I was able to sit in the garden and crochet, read my book or just relax and listen to the birdsong.  
And that's what a retreat is all about - giving yourself the gift of time for yourself.  If there happen to be holiday keepsakes, then that's a bonus!

I have a lot more to say about each of the craft kits and intend to make each one a blog post of its own.
















Share:

6 comments

  1. Great blog! Such a brilliant idea! Keep safe and well! Axx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorna, What a wonderful blog post, and what a fantastic idea x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely fantastic Lorna, you're an inspiration ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how organised you are and how you spent your retreat doing fun crafts. Love the potheads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Lorna - brilliant idea. Sounds perfect - no travel delays, no having to wear masks (except the face one!), not having to worry about a loo and at the end of it some keepsakes from your holiday. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous but an inspiration to me to think out of the box or the bubble that we are currently having to live in x

    ReplyDelete

© Never At A Loose End | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig