Monday 10 August 2020

The Spice of Life Crochet Blanket (or what would Shaun Bythell think?)

I can virtually hear Shaun Bythell guffawing up his sleeve as I chose to base my recent crafty colour choices on the cover of his bestselling book.  

Last year on holiday I read The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell.  Apart from being a top book in my estimation, as its waspish humour made me laugh out loud, I knew I wanted to make something inspired by the cover illustration.  If you haven't had the pleasure of holding this particular volume in your hands, be warned - the author rejoices in taking pot shots at Kindles and I mean literally shooting electronic reading devices to pieces then displaying them in his shop as a warning to others!  It's described in the publisher's blurb as 'a wry and hilarious account of life in Scotland's biggest second-hand bookshop and the band of eccentrics and book-obsessives who work there'.  I'm aware that few things would give Shaun Bythell more cause for acerbic comment than a craft project based on his book's dust-jacket!

Shelving Mr Bythell for a moment, as authors may have limited input into their book's cover, the eye-catching illustration here is designed by Royal College of Art graduate Bill Bragg, with print design by freelance creative Peter Dyer.  Be sure to have your magnifying glass to hand as their credits at the bottom of the back cover are tiny.  I've now developed more appreciation for what is often an overlooked work of art in my hands and not just an invitation to explore the writing within.

So... Craft project... As soon as the Scottish government lifted the 5 mile travel restriction on 3rd July, I hot footed it to Baa!, the wool shop in Stonehaven I already had some crochet in mind and knew the yarn I wanted to use.  

In 2015, as a relative newcomer to crochet, I followed the make-along by craft blogger and podcaster, Sandra Paul known online as Cherry Heart, for the Spice of Life Crochet Blanket.
Admired by my sister-in-law, Fiona, I decided to make this blanket again for her birthday in early August.  I'd need to get my skates on and commit to some monogamous crochet!  The Spice of Life Blanket pattern calls for 13 colours.  I'd been tempted on a previous visit to Baa! by the practical, but beautiful, Scheepjes Stone Washed cotton/acrylic DK yarn.  There's a mouthwatering palette of 31 different shades in stock at Baa!.  Plenty of choice for me with the book cover in mind.
The sheet details the original colours called for in the pattern
So I started crocheting on July 10th
and enjoyed adding many rows during the retreat I staged for myself at home in the cosy craft corner I'd created.  
Podcaster Ellie of Craft House Magic kept me company
I crocheted outside in the sunshine, inside whilst watching my favourite podcasts, and even in bed!  The blanket grew and grew.
Three weeks later, on August 1st, I was adding the final rows to the turquoise border with the 3.5mm Prym crochet hook I used throughout
and the weather stayed fine as the blanket enjoyed a freshen up on the line - just like its 2015 twin!
Whilst in the making, I kept all photos of the blanket off social media so it would remain a surprise for Fiona.  
I was so excited to present it to her at our family birthday barbecue last weekend.
Safe to say, she loves it!
As for Shaun Bythell, I'm pleased to report his book is being made into a TV series - and he's written a sequel!  
Not more crochet?

Who knows what I might be inspired to make next with these colours?













Share:

2 comments

  1. Lorna, I have loved reading the progress of my wonderful blanket! Top marks for keeping it under wraps! Next stop - bookshop for the book! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading every detail Lorna, and thank you for including links to the artists which extended my reading time and delayed the start of my working day :-). A second blanket is a must I feel, could you add designer to your list of talents?

    ReplyDelete

© Never At A Loose End | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig