Tuesday 15 December 2020

Christmas Wreathe Round-Up

Trust me to pick the year no-one's allowed to visit to learn how to make a wreathe for our front door!  

Thanks to the current Covid restrictions, we're not allowed to have any visitors in our homes right now so I hope the postie and courier drivers are pleased I made the effort!

The tradition of decorating our homes with wreathes dates back centuries.  Wreathe is derived from the Old English word 'writhan' meaning 'to twist'.  Seasonal evergreens entwined with flowers and decorations frequently hang on front doors at Christmas nowadays but in times gone by, the greenery signified the coming of new life life as Pagans celebrated Yule.  For Christians, the circular shape evokes God's everlasting love and advent crowns may hark back to the Crucifixion.  Our Victorian forebears tried to make use of everything and 'trimming the tree' meant loping off lower branches so the Christmas tree would actually fit in the house!  Using excess greenery for additional decorations may have its origins in this thrifty practice.

Whatever the derivation, we do love our Christmas decorations in this house and wreathes are no exception.

One year I even made a wreathe of woolly pompoms - it's currently adorning the handmade shelf!

Back to the real McCoy.   I booked a Christmas wreathe making workshop with Kelly at Blooming Good Flowers back in October, fully expecting to be sent a kit and joining instructions for an on-line class.  Thanks to Kelly having a log cabin studio in her back garden, I could attend in person as we were able to adhere to all the current safety guidelines.  It was fun to be out and about again, learning something new.  

Kelly's studio was overflowing with floristry supplies and Christmas decorations and it wasn't long before she had me covering my round wire base with moss, then affixing spruce branches with string.  The air was filled with the pungent scent of the greenery as it was cut to shape.

Next, I'd to choose a ribbon for my feature bow.  Talk about being spoiled for choice!


I'd taken some rose gold decorations from home and found the perfect ribbon in another big bin of contenders.

I was so busy wiring cones, baubles and slices of dried lime that I missed taking  photos of the array of gorgeous items Kelly had in her workshop for me to choose from to adorn my wreathe.  

The frosty lawn next morning was the perfect backdrop to showcase my effort.


Whilst I worked alongside Kelly, we chatted back and forth as if we'd been friends for ages, though we'd actually just met.  Floristry is not Kelly's main occupation and she's managed to turn her hobby into a successful small business, providing welcome relief from her potentially stressful day job.  She managed to make two wreathes in the time I made one as she had lots of orders to fulfil before Christmas.  Those who've previously attended her workshop can purchase kits which include all the items needed to make a wreathe at home.  
Needless to say, I came home with a kit! 


Even though I'd let a fortnight elapse since the class, covering another ring in greenery wasn't too much of a challenge and I remembered how to make the wired bow.


However, I'd assured Kelly I had plenty of decorations at home so didn't take any from her extensive  trove.


This didn't turn out to be entirely true.  After I'd had a good rummage through our Christmas decoration storage tubs, I had to spray paint some pine cones, gathered on my daily dog walk, and pilfer some pre-used silk poinsettias from the tin of Christmas cake adornments.  


I also asked Mum to look out any extra floral bits she might have.  She loves making Christmas decorations and is skilled at flower arranging so I knew she'd have some suitable bits for me to use.  I didn't tell her I was making the second wreathe for her!  
Here's the finished gift hanging on my front door to have its photo taken.


Mum's house is adjacent to a busy thoroughfare in our village where I hope her Christmas wreathe will be enjoyed by many passers-by this festive season.


You can read more about Christmas Wreathes at








Share:

1 comment

  1. How really wish I could come knocking at the door and see your beautiful wreath! Lovely photos as ever Cathy

    ReplyDelete

© Never At A Loose End | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig