Sunday 7 October 2018

All welcome (well, nearly all)

I've probably sat outside our front door more this summer than in the last ten years.  It's the most sheltered and sunny spot in our windy garden in rural Aberdeenshire - perfect for a little knitting, crochet or an aperitif - or just a cuddle with the dog!  It's also where we welcome all our visitors.
Not all visitors are welcome, though.  A few years ago, these swallow chicks hatched in this nest under the eaves right beside the front door.  I think nest building occurred whilst we were away on holiday.  We were frightened our comings and goings might cause the parents to abandon their babies and were relieved when they all finally fledged.  Let's just not talk about all that birdie poop getting trampled into the house!  In subsequent years we've actively discouraged the swallows from nesting here - though it never stops them from trying...
Some years ago, my father in law gave us this bell.  It's a shop bell he salvaged from a business which was closing in a nearby village.  We don't have a doorbell but had never quite got around to installing this one.
So an idea began to crystallise in my mind for my next workshop with Ann at Blue Sky Mosaics.  I've been on  a couple of courses now and have made an outdoor wall panel, a garden table and a stepping stone.  My plan was to incorporate the bell into another decorative panel - and locate it at the front door to alert us of visitors and deter the swallows!

Since my last visit to Blue Sky Mosaics near Kintore, Ann's partner Will has created a wonderful new indoor work space and deck in their garden enlivened with Ann's beautiful mosaic artworks.
I was warmly welcomed by Ann and Will, and Will had cut a substrate for me to work on with an arched top as I'd requested.  I took some pictures with me I'd found inspiring and set to work creating paper shapes for my swallows.
Choosing colours is always fun and my stylised swallows began to take shape as I cut the stained glass.
By the end of day one, I had my main design feature in place and adhered to the treated board.
On my return the following day, Ann suggested some mirror pieces to convey flight and I enjoyed sifting through the tiles for the border to find just the colours and textures I wanted.
Some little dragonflies also made an iridescent appearance.  So much 'treasure' to choose from!
Fitting the background pieces of coloured glass is a therapeutic process.  They're all cut into strips from a single sheet then snipped into random shapes and placed individually into a pleasing pattern.
Here's Ann and I at the end of my second day with all the mosaic shapes in place.  She's such an enabling tutor, gently guiding, patiently prompting and endlessly inspiring.  I've never seen a pupil unhappy with the mosaic they've created under her tutelage.
Ann is also a very trusting person as she gave me my grouting materials to take home and helped me believe I could complete this step by myself.  Look at me in my full PPE - throwback to my offshore days when we all had to wear our Personal Protective Equipment.
A clear case of rags to riches as the drying grout is removed with a soft cloth revealing the beauty of the finished mosaic.
My board already had drilled holes in it for screws and to hold the bell.  I managed to remember not to fill these with grout!

So here is the finished piece in situ, beside the front door and right underneath the swallows favoured nesting site.  You can even glimpse my first mosaic panel on the other side of the door.
I love how the iridescent glass catches the sun.
Now visitors can ring the bell to let us know they are here - and deter 'unwanted' visitors at the same time!

Share:

3 comments

  1. I love your colour choices Lorna and the swooping swallows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats stunning beautiful Lorna! Will look foward to ringing the bell and admiring your mosaic on our next visit north x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW what a story! It looks very inviting artwork of mosaic. I know Ann and how kind she is and how she’s gently advise some tips, some ideas & very supportive.
    Crystal Prentice

    ReplyDelete

© Never At A Loose End | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig